Cholesterol seems to be something that everyone loves to hate or that we think is a bad thing. Cholesterol is a necessary thing. Hormones are made from cholesterol. It’s involved in cell and nerve function. We literally couldn’t live without it!
80% of cholesterol is made in the body. 20% is dietary.
If you’re concerned about high cholesterol, there are several lifestyle changes that you can make that will add up to make a big difference. Trust me.
- Exercise daily – even 20-30 minutes of regular exercise will help
- Reduce stress or focus on coping strategies such as gentle yoga (think child’s pose, legs up wall, savasana) and aromatherapy
- Eat foods rich in Omega 3 fats and consider supplementation. Food sources could include; coconut oil, nuts and seeds, grass fed animal products, olive oil, avocado
- Reduce packaged foods, trans fats, and sugars in the diet.
- Increase soluble fibre in your diet. Fibre acts as a “broom” to remove excess cholesterol (and hormones) from the body. Think flax seeds, nuts and other seeds, fruits and vegetables
- Cinnamon essential oil has been shown to reduce cholesterol levels by up to 20%
- Basil essential oil can increase HDL while lowering LDL
- Lemongrass essential oil has been shown to reduce cholesterol levels
Note – purchase only essential oils that are certified as Natural Health Products (like supplements are) for this purpose. I trust doTERRA brand and use it in my nutrition practice exclusively.
If you’re considering taking Statin drugs to lower your cholesterol, do your research before taking this step. I highly recommend the documentary “Statin Nation” which can be found on Netflix and on FMTV.
If you are already on Statin drugs to lower your cholesterol, ensure that you are taking Coenzyme Q10 supplements as Statin drugs will deplete this enzyme in the body and it is needed by every single cell in order to function.
Interested in more information or a plan of action to lower your cholesterol through lifestyle changes? Schedule a 30 minute appointment with me. Plan to bring a copy of your food journal (tracking your food intake for at least a week) for us to go over together. You’ll be amazed at what we can figure out in just 30 minutes.
Text me 613-285-9484 or send an email to email@example.com